Grrrr. I’ve actually heard people say these things.
- Communication isn’t important to leadership, or to management.
- Leaders who communicate well do so because they’re born that way.
- You cannot teach communication to people, because it’s an art, not a science.
- Communication is all about getting your message across.
- All that needs to happen is that a communication is sent. It’s up to the receiver to take responsibility for what happens next.
- Listening is overrated. All employees want to do is complain.
- Employees aren’t interested in the business.
- Change is constant, so there is no point to talk about it.
- Facts and figures are more important than trying to get people engaged.
- Employees don’t understand business, so why bother telling them about it?
- Internal communication is just a warm, fuzzy for the employees.
- Employee communicators just don’t know the business, so they can’t help me with my issues.